Friday, May 30, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

We went to visit our bestest friends, Kate & Clint, this past weekend in the Tri-Cities. They moved there earlier this year and we went over to see their new house and check out the area. So, we drive over Friday night and it takes about four hours. We got there around 10:30 p.m. and pretty much just went to bed with all our little ones. The next morning Kate and Clint want us to go hike this trail that they walk called Badger Mountain. I had forgotten to bring tennis shoes, but they were like you can do it, it's not that bad. So, I go in SANDALS!!



Okay, let me just clarify something here. There version of not so bad and my version are drastically different. For those of you who haven't been around me in awhile I am VERY out of shape. I am a bit fluffier than I used to be, okay, a lot fluffier. I think each one of my children has blessed me with about fifteen pounds that they have just left me when they have taken their exit. But, I am not a wuss, so I am going to go on this hike, even in sandals.



We start our little "walk" and I am literally out of breath in a matter of minutes. Little did I know that it was about a mile and a half up, up, and more up. Seriously, it was switchback after switchback and it seemed to never end. When we would stop to catch our breath (just the girls, Todd and Clint didn't seem to need to rest) people would pity me in my sandal clad feet. In fact, I got a nickname going up the mountain - I am now known as "Sandal Girl"! So, we did it and I hated Kate up that mountain with every step that I took, but fortunately on the way down those natural endorphins kicked in and I was loving everyone, even Clint!!



After my torture that morning we went to the park, out to eat, saw Indiana Jones (DO NOT SEE - VERY CHEESY) and played games all night of course. We are game playing freaks. Sunday we went to church and then of course played more games. We ran out of soda about half way through the day and I think I went a little nuts but I survived. Then, believe it or not Kate actually convinced me to walk that stupid mountain again before we left to go home. I tell ya', that girl is my best friend and I love her, but the things I do with her!! She's crazy!! I went and this time it was in tennis shoes that were one size to small. Again I hated her the whole way up and loved her the whole way down.



Sore feet and all it was a great weekend and we miss our dear friends a lot. Happy Hiking!!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Just admit it... I'm good for you!

Annie Jarman said...

Oh, I had a similar experience a few years ago. It was super activity for young womens. We hiked up this hill that went up and up and up... I'm totally out of shape and was huffing and puffing the whole way up. By the time I got there they had already started the devotional! How embarrassing! But the way down was fun!