Monday, July 7, 2008

The Move

Okay, I think I can now breathe again. I know, I know, I haven't been on in awhile, but hey I was moving!! And oh, what a joy that has been! I won't bore all of you with all the gritty details, but I will pass on a few tidbits of fun that have happened over the past week or so.
  • Our new home was repainted before we moved in. They literally just finished painting the morning we moved in. Then, they closed everything up and left it like that. I now know that the overwhelming smell of paint fumes in 90+ weather will cause my entire family to get scratchy throats and cough for a few days. Super.

  • When you move into a rental even though they have repainted and recarpeted it still smells funny. No, I mean it really smells funny. Help me. Please let that smell go away and be replaced with the smell of chocolate chip cookies baking since we do that like every day now in the hopes that it will annihilate that smell. Super.

  • When they put a brand new AC unit in your rental they should check to make sure the breaker can handle it. Because they didn't do this, my breaker kept tripping and we kept losing power in 90+ weather and I kept flipping the breaker back until I was putting my kids to bed on our second night here and a fan plugged into an outlet overloaded something and sparks flew out of the outlet, hitting Raquel in the leg, burning the outlet black and causing us to lose power once again. Super.

  • My kids were in the room with me when this all happened and it totally freaked them out. As a result, I was pissed, I called the maintenance man at like 10:30 at night and then checked myself and my kids into a hotel and left my husband there to deal with our "electrical issues". Super.

  • Each member of my family, except for me, has gotten sick in the last week. I mean, throwing up all over the brand new carpet, spewing chunks, vomit out the nose and even diarrhea - sick! Not mommy though, no mommy is the strong one while I try to unpack, clean up vomit and comfort my little ones. Super.

While the last week or so has been quite eventful as we try to settle into our new home and adjust to life without Grandma and Papa, we are happy to be here and off on our new adventure. Through this whole crazy transition, my sweet baby boy Marcus got himself attached to his big sister's hot pink bike helmet. I think there was just so much going on that he needed something to comfort himself with. I mean, he didn't take that thing off for three days straight. He would wear it to bed, in the bath and everywhere we went. Todd was a bit embarrassed to have his son wearing a hot pink bike helmet, but I told him to just leave him alone and he would take it off when he was ready. Well, I am happy to report that the helmet is finally off and we must have found our happy place. Bless you sweet boy! Now, where is that bike helmet and can mommy borrow it for a few days?

4 comments:

Kate said...

Can you seriously just write a book! You are so dang funny girlfriend! See ya Wednesday.

Annie Jarman said...

Oh gosh, your poor family!! Are things straightened out now?!

Love you guys.

Rene said...

I've been wondering how you are.... i'm glad things are looking up. Follow Marcus' example and take off the bike helmet, the neighbors are starting to talk!
Love Ya!
~Rene

RR said...

Traci,
Miss you already. How's spokompton? I am coming over there the first Friday in August let me know whats up during that time. I'll stop by. Do you have extra room?