Sunday, March 1, 2009

Best & Worst Mother Moments

I had a worst mother moment and a best mother moment all within the same week this week! Thankfully, I was the worst mother first and the best mother second so I didn't end the week on a bad note! Here's my worst mother moment:

I finally took Raquel in to see the dentist. (I know, I know! No lectures on taking her in sooner! Lesson has been learned!) We just didn't make it a huge priority because she's been losing baby teeth for awhile now and we thought she'd be fine. Whoops. Apparently she has her father's weak teeth. On Thursday my poor sweetheart had to have a baby root canal, an entire tooth pulled, two other teeth drilled and filled and sealant put on her molars!! Her first dental experience was all of that! She did so well and the office where I took her is just for kids, so they were super awesome with her. They call everything they are doing by different names so they don't freak the kids out. Like, here comes Mr. Whistle or Mr. Tickle. So cute! She was miserable the rest of the day once the numbing wore off, but all better now. I tried to take a picture of her cavity ridden tooth they pulled, but my camera sucks and it wouldn't zoom in good enough to see the tooth and now it is in Tooth Fairy land. I will now be taking Marcus in as soon as possible to avoid this in the future. I can only hope that he has my teeth (strong as an ox) and that they will sedate him for me, otherwise ain't no way that boy will sit in that chair!! LOL!!

Okay, on to my best mother moment. It wasn't anything that I did necessarily. It was just a moment with my Raquel that I will forever remember and made me feel like I might be doing something right. At the end of the day on Friday I was taking a bath. Love to take baths at the end of the day because it relaxes me and gives me about a half an hour to myself. And my sweet husband, bless his heart, knows that I need this time so he often tells me to go get in the bath and he takes the kids. So as I'm soaking I hear a knock on the door and Raquel wants to come in. Usually I don't allow this since it kind of defeats the purpose of alone time, but she had a book with her and she asked if she could just sit in the bathroom and read. I usually am reading a book during my bath, so I said sure she could stay. So, for the next half hour I soaked and read and my Raquel sat and read, only interrupting when she couldn't figure out a word. I paused for a minute and just savored the moment. Alone time with my daughter spent doing something I adore - reading - and thinking that I have instilled in her a love of books as well. Can't beat that. It was such a tender moment for me. One without words, but that really spoke to me as a mother. I don't totally suck all of the time! My kid is reading Charlotte's Web with me in the bathroom!! So cool.

5 comments:

Momma Sarah said...

Ah, see you are doing something right! What a sweet moment!

Jenn said...

You are a great mom, I love your humor and teaches me to relax a little more. Love, Jenn =)

Lindsey said...

dude your the best mother out there, dont even worry about it. now me, that will be a different story. and can i just say I am so proud of raquel!! First time dentist visits are so scary but she's awesome. im so proud=) i think she was thinking of me, that's why she did so good.

Kate said...

So cute! You're a pretty awesome mom to give up your bath time!

Rene said...

Ahhh, We live and learn don't we? If only these kids came with instruction manuals! If I live through these teenage years it will be a miracle! You're a great mom!