Friday, June 19, 2009

Whining

I'm going to whine here for a minute, so if you don't want to hear it you might want to scroll down!! I just have to get this off my chest and then I won't talk about it anymore!! We just finished our first year of all day school and Raquel had a blast and thrived a great deal. That isn't my issue. My issue is the extent of parent involvement that seeems to be expected at school these days. I can remember my parents coming to a school activity maybe a couple of times a year, like Christmas parties or band concerts, that was it. And did I survive, yes, did I feel neglected, never!! I can't even count the number of things that went on at Raquel's school this year and boy, oh boy, did I ever get the whining and the crying when I would tell her I couldn't come. I tried to explain to her that I still have little kids at home and coming to activites a couple of times a week was too much because all I would be doing was chasing Marcus and Raigan around the room and trying to keep them out of stuff. So, guess what - I didn't go to the fifty thousand during school and after school things that the school put on and I am tired of feeling bad about it!! Don't get me wrong, I want to be as involved in the education of my children as possible, but seriously, do we have to have a poetry reading in the middle of the day that my daughter says I must attend!! We did the big stuff, Christmas program, Valentine's dance, etc. But come on now, why does there have to be all this extra stuff that makes it really hard for us moms at home with other kids to attend and then we feel super bad for the kid in school, like we're letting them down or we don't care enough because we do, but just not every stinkin' week!! Okay, I feel better now. And I don't even want to hear it from all you super awesome moms who can do everything. I'm doing the best I can do and if that means I don't make it to every activity the school can dream up these days, then I just don't. Wow, after reading this back I think I had a real issue there. I just hate to see my girl disappointed. Now, on to funner posts!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dont worry Traci. All those super awesome mom's....well most of em don't have kids at home anymore. And if they do, they must have a lot of family around to help babysit. I say the couple events you did make it to, give yourself a huge pat on the back!

Kate said...

Don't even worry about it... you know how Raquel got all 4's on her report card- it's because she has a very smart little brain to make you think that ALL mom's do this kind of thing- and guess what... they DON'T! If you keep listening to your girl, next thing you know you'll be PTO president!

Brooke Moss said...

Oh my gosh...we have the same complaint in our house. I simply cannot go to the kids school 2,3 times a week, like "other moms". I still have 2 babies at home, and Liam and Al act like I am ruining their entire childhood bcuz of it. Its very frustrating.