Friday, January 2, 2009

The Hardest Job In The World

If you know me then you know that parenting has got to be the HARDEST thing in the world for me. I always thought I would be a great mom and have a ton of kids because my mom is amazing and she had a ton of kids, so naturally I would be the same, right? Wrong. After I had my first I quickly found out it's not as fun as all the pretty pictures they paint for you when you're growing up. Strangely enough I've popped out two more!! Aahh!! Now, I know there are those of you who love all this parenting crap and you're quite good at it, but there are a few of us who, while we know we are supposed to have kids, find it to be one of our challenges in life to deal with everything that comes at us in the kid department. Tonight is a perfect example. Let me set the scene for you.

We just got back from Christmas vacation at my parents house, where I might add, my children are spoiled endlessly because Grandma doesn't EVER tell them no. While unpacking from our trip we just put all the kids' new toys from Christmas in their room. They've been playing with all their new stuff for the last few days and enjoying themselves. Well, tonight I asked them to go to their room (Raquel and Marcus share) and simply pick up all their toys and put them in a bin. Didn't matter which bin, just find a spot and get everything up off the floor. After listening to Raquel yell at her brother to clean and Marcus cry because it was "too hard" for 15 minutes, I went in to encourage them to work together. They did that by getting in a pushing match which I will admit my little Marcus appeared to win. Well, that did it. I snapped. They both got sent to bed early admist cries and whines, oh and some screaming too. Normally, I would be really upset and questioning my role as mother and how much I suck because I can't even get my kids to clean up their room. But tonight, as I sit at the computer listening to them talk to each other in bed I can't help but crack up.


They are at this very moment crying profusely for their Grandma and their Papa. Marcus is begging to get in the car to go to their house. Raquel is reminding him that they live six hours away so they can't go there. Again, more crying for Grandma and Papa only a little louder. Now, Raquel is kindly telling her brother that it is basically all his fault that they are in bed a whole half an hour early!! If only he had helped clean up the toys!! And Marcus is claiming he has to go potty. He uses that one every time they get sent to bed because he knows I don't want him to wet the bed. And he actually goes, so he must have the ability to conjure up urine at will!! They're calming down a bit now. Only some quite whimpering for their beloved Grandma and Papa. I swear, you would think I was actually abusing them!! Nope, just asked them to pick up their toys. The joys of motherhood. Wow, that was an oxymoron. Hey mom, if my kids show up on your doorstep in a few days you'll know why - I made them clean their room and they ran away!! (Actually, they didn't even clean their room - it's still a mess and they're in bed!! Somehow I don't think I won this battle!!) Enjoy the picture of my little angels. And don't get me started on Raigan. That girl has mischief in her eyes. . . .


1 comment:

Momma Sarah said...

AMEN to that! I've snapped a few times myself and as soon as they've been sent to bed, they are best friends again lamenting how terrible their parents are and how they are going to get to Mema and Papa's house in Missouri. Too cute! Hang in there! When ours do that, Chris and I give each other high fives and tell each other that we must be doing it right. ha ha!! Glad you got back home safely!