Monday, June 23, 2008

What is catsup?

I love my sister! We have been raised VERY differently, me being the middle child stuck between three older brothers and three younger brothers and her being the youngest of all the kids in our family. My parents tell me they were just plain tired when it came to raising her. So, she maybe possibly wasn't taught everything that I was growing up. Today was a perfect example. My sister moved out last year for the first time in her life and is now living in Provo. She is studying to be a dental hygenist and I couldn't be prouder of her. She is just still learning some things. Like how to cook. Being the totally awesome big sister that I am I got her a recipe box and wrote out a bunch of recipes that are pretty easy to help her in her endeavor to make it on her own.



So, she calls me this afternoon (sorry, sis, but this was just too good to pass up) and asks me what kind of crisco to buy and where she finds apple vinegar in the store. I chuckle at her and guide her in my infinite wisdom in the kitchen and then tell her to have fun cooking. Not even fifteen minutes later she calls me back with another question. She asks, "Sis, what is catsup?" I thought I had misunderstood her so I was like, "What?" And she says it again, "What is catsup?" I lost it. I started laughing and I couldn't stop myself. After I calmed down she was like what the heck is going on? And as the incredible chef that I am I then instructed my sweet sister that it is ketchup!! She was like, really? Why is it spelled different? AAAAAHHHHHH!! Bless her heart. The funniest part was how she was saying it, she was pronouncing it CAT - SUP, enunciating each letter as if it was a word in a different language.



Oh, the joys of being a big sister and having the divine privilege to guide my beautiful, if somewhat kitchen lacking sister. I love you my sweet Lindsey and I will always remember this day, the day you discovered what catsup was.



(It's almost as good as the time you tried to use vinegar in your brownie recipe and then realized what you'd done. But we'll just keep that one between you and me.)

2 comments:

Annie Jarman said...

Ha ha! Oh, cute Lindsey!

Kate said...

Oh... what a cutie. So... maybe she'll hook up with Danny in Utah and he can teach her the joy's of Taco Bell hot sauce.